We were discussing how some of our character feel the same, and how after awhile you kind of get a feel for what kind of character you find easiest and most enjoyable to play. I’m kind of curious how people would succinctly describe their types…
I read a…
Oh this is an interesting one!
1) The sardonic stiletto. By far my favorite character to play. Often a spy or assassin, or skilled in close combat. A charming asshole with zero filters, morbid humor, and a wide vicious streak. They’re usually sarcastic, witty, and funny as hell, but also destructive and provocative. Tends to accidentally drag the party into trouble more often than not. Very, VERY often a combat sadomasochist, or as much as I can get away with in the tone of the story. Not always a good person underneath.
2) Little girl with a BFG. 4’11” with an 8’ sword or an anti tank rifle. Sometimes young, cheerful and spunky, sometimes older. If they’re older, they tend to be level headed, competent military leaders and problem solvers. Either one can kick your ass in a new york minute.
3) The fanatic and/or the fey. A cultist so devoted to their cause their morals and ways of thinking have become completely alien, or a creature with impenetrable modes of thinking. It doesn’t matter whether their cause is “good” or “evil”. I just like characters with really out-there morals and thought patterns.
4) The contradiction. The cheerful, kind hearted necromancer. The morbid, suicidal paladin. The sassy gay lich. Basically, a character who’s personality is a complete diagonal from the stereotype. Sometimes played seriously, sometimes for comedy.
5) The determinator. Bound by duty, this character will throw themselves at walls until it breaks or they do. They are serious, focused and competent. Sometimes tragic, sometimes just hard headed, always adhering to a strict code or goal and ignoring everything else. The last man standing. Will sometimes, but not always, have a complete meltdown once they achieve their vengeance/goal/victory/etc.